Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I haven't posted in a while, but that hasn't stopped progress.  I want to write something that I have wanted to write for a while.  And while no one will see it, I need to write it, even to get it off my chest.  The dumbest question to ever ask someone is "where were you on September 11th"?  I know where I was and I would happily telly you, because it is probably one of the funniest stories of my high school career.  That day was scary, but it was almost scarier because I knew were I was and what I was doing, but it was like watching a train wreck or the coverage of the DC Snipers, or the tragedy at Virginia Tech, or Columbine, or the Oklahoma City bombing.  I sat transfixed because I couldn't do anything, I wanted to and I know that I could, but what exactly could a fifteen year old girl do that would be productive and helpful.

I went home that night and chatted with my friends from California and Texas who were upset and mad, however the effect of living in the center of the triangle made me feel very vulnerable.  That date defined me in many ways and has shaped who I am, each and every major event has.  I have had alot of friends who joined up because of it, whether really or because it would help pay for college, and I support them because they are making such a big sacrifice for us.

At the end of the day though it hasn't worked out the way that we thought it would.  Not at all.  And unfortunately as a country we need to get over it.  We need to make the decision for now and our future.  Each challenge we need to face.  At the time we thought the time was ripe for action, something many presidents, congresses. and elected officials decided was not the best move.  Now we have we have to decide what is the best decision for us.

I don't want to trivialize the day, the day that changed the mindset of a nation, but seriously it has been ten years.  Time for "change" and "hope" and pulling our troops out of the Middle East.  Yet we are adrift and we need to change the attitude to truly hope these people haven't died for a changeless society.  And I don't mean one the has an I-Phone and is connected on Facebook.  Lets find the way to address the problems in a way that brings about a better mindset.

Above all lets embrace what September 11th means and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment